The key to a smooth, uneventful move is planning and organization. The following list will help you identify some of the things to think of prior to a move. Remember, the sooner you get started, the easier your move will be!
- Obtain an estimate from professional movers
- Assemble appropriate packing materials (bubble wrap, newspaper, various sized boxes, tape)
- Measure your furniture and decide where each piece will be placed in your new home. Making floor plans of your new home (if the realtor hasn’t) can help immensely.
- Inventory your possessions and decide what to do with each (take with you, sell, give away)
- Arrange for utilities to be shut off in your current location and get any refunds of deposits. Arrange for connections in new location and transfer accounts.
- Give your forwarding address to the post office
- Notify insurance companies, charge accounts, subscriptions, friends and relatives
- Change information on pets tags, driver’s licenses, etc.
- Obtain copies of school records
- Determine what information is needed to register for school
- Register in a timely manner
- Banking: Arrange for a checking account in your new community and transfer accounts
- Medical: Obtain medical records, as for referrals, and transfer prescriptions